Saturday, May 29, 2010

Photo-Synthesis

Spent the early afternoon pulling up weeds in the garden. I told myself that I wasn't going to tend to it this year. It just makes me sad to think about leaving it. I have planted more than just herbs, flowers, and grass here. There are a million memories attached to every little vein in every little leaf of every little plant... almost ten years worth. Last week I got really excited upon the arrival of my humdinger friends. They greet me the same time every year. I guess I didn't want to let them down. I brewed up their tasty treat and hung it outside above the catnip. Within minutes the little birds were hovering above my offering. The garden looks beautiful this year... better than it ever has. My Buddleia is about nine feet tall. The hummingbirds ought to get a thrill out of it.

It was well worth a trade... A little bit of heartache for a couple great new memories. While I pulled up weeds, Forrest tugged at the catnip, rolled around in it and crawled the fringes of the blanket following red ants bringing in food to their nest. The hummingbirds didn't seem to mind. They just danced above our heads.

2 comments:

  1. Just had to ask:
    What effect does catnip have on a seven month old?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It's a baby pea!!"

    ReplyDelete