Monday, May 3, 2010

I'm Fixing A Hole Where The Rain Gets In

...And stops my mind from wandering. Where it will go...

God has a way of providing a good elbow nudge when it is truly warranted. Last night it occurred while Forrest and I were perusing the children's book section of my favorite bargain store. This time He was a one year old, blue-eyed, cutie pie named Rose accompanied by her mama. They too, were on a hunt for some mind food. Rose and Forrest made eye contact and you would have thought worlds collided. Babble this, "Ahaeyyee-Ah" that. Her mom and I were prompted to converse after the realization that we were obviously in good company. She had a fantastic Louisiana accent.

To make a very long but mind-blowing story short, Rose's mama was a very intriguing woman. Her parenting style all the way down to eating habits mimicked mine so closely I felt as if I had met her once before or had known her for years. I shared with her that we were looking to make our way elsewhere to settle sometime in the future. However, we had been putting off attaching a date to the word "future." I shared with her my anxieties and concerns. She repeated one word over and over that it seemed to reverberate within my ear: "Family." As she said this Rose clung to her mother's side.

Sometimes I find it hard to believe when I wake up in the morning and I look over at my son and see my husband looking back at me, that this is really my life. I have my own family. They are my home. It is when I realize this that my anxieties diminish. The worries fade away into the background. The foreground... that is my life. That's all that is really certain.

Derek and I made a promise to each other this morning that definite plans to move will be made within the year and the move itself will be set to occur a year from now. I do not know where we are going. To be honest with you, I do not care. Something tells me that wherever there are books to be discovered, mommy and daddy to tell a tale or two, and a Forrest to be told... there home will be.


...And it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong,
I'm right where I belong.
I'm right where I belong.

-Paul McCartney

1 comment:

  1. "...I'm taking my time for a number of things
    that weren't important yesterday
    and I still go."

    ReplyDelete