Sunday, September 20, 2009

These Boots Weren't Made For Walkin'

Photo by Rebecca Kiger

Come to think of it in hindsight, my Chuck Taylors would have been a bit more appropriate for the journey that I had embarked on for so many years. Regardless, the journey was well worth the blisters and sweat and my boots in all their glory have never looked better. They wear their years proudly.

My husband came to me as an answered prayer... well, prayers. Many of them. He didn't seem to mind my worn down feet. I also, took a liking to his. Soon after we met we were married. I really can't elaborate much more on the occasion. When you know, you know. Simply put.

At that point in time I truly felt that I had been blessed to the utmost degree. We had our health. We had our faith. We had each other. Then, a month later the most unexpected gift was presented to the both of us. I say unexpected for a reason other than the obvious.


I was told by doctors that having a child would be difficult. This came as no surprise because from the time of early childhood I had prepared myself to adopt. Apparently, I knew something then. So, I thought.


I'd like to think of it as a miracle because it is. Not only did God send me the the gift of a gracious and loving soul who is my husband, he provided the means for which this soul could in turn give the both of us the greatest gift of all. A child. A son. I find myself at a loss for words to describe how I felt the day that this news was revealed because there are none. I am not sure whether the blackboard that hangs in his room is as much for him as it is a reminder for me.

1 comment: